Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SSI2004: Research Design in the Social Sciences
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content will vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover the following themes:
- Descriptive and causal logic in social science research.
- The problem of causal inference.
- Experiments: field, laboratory, and survey.
- Survey research.
- Natural experiments and instrumental variables.
- Longitudinal research and difference-in-differences estimation.
- Computational social science.
- Mixed methods for social science research.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activity||22||11 x 2 hour lectures/workshops|
|Guided independent study||78||Reading and preparation for classes|
|Guided independent study||50||Reading, preparation and writing of the assignments|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).