Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC2025: Current Themes in the Sociology of Sport
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
The module aims to provide you with a foundation in the key tropes of the ‘sociology of sport’ discussion and an in-depth knowledge on contemporary sociological sport issues. It aims to immerse you in the most contemporary debates in which sport intersects and captures social trends. The course therefore provides a critical global engagement in sport as a feature of global media culture and local community engagement in the 21st century.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of a range of contemporary sport issues|
2. Demonstrate an ability to evaluate contemporary sport sociology discussion in light of academic research and debate
3. Demonstrate knowledge of key sociological concepts such as Mega-Events, Lifestyle Sports, Sports for Good, Polluted Leisure and Edgework
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate in writing and orally an ability to reflect upon, apply and criticise theoretical models and empirical findings |
5. Demonstrate in writing and orally how the sociology of sport can help examine taken-for-granted assumptions about social roles and behaviours.
|Personal and Key Skills||6. Demonstrate an ability to engage in complex arguments in writing, orally and in small groups|
7. Demonstrate an ability to identify problems and anticipate possible avenues for solving them
8. Demonstrate an ability to apply and recognise academic themes in mass media and popular culture discourse