Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SSI2001: Learning from Work Experience in Social Sciences
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
Indicative Reading List
This reading list is indicative - i.e. it provides an idea of texts that may be useful to you on this module, but it is not considered to be a confirmed or compulsory reading list for this module.
- Bolton, G. and Delderfeld, R. (2018) Reflective Practice: Writing and Professional Development, 5th edn., Los Angeles: Sage.
- Cascio, W. (2000). Managing a Virtual Workplace. The Academy of Management Executive (1993-2005), 14(3), 81-90.
- Cottrell, S. (2015), Skills for Success: The Personal Development Planning Handbook. Palgrave Study Guides. London
- Edgell, S., Gottfried, H. and Granter, E. (eds.) (2016) The SAGE Handbook of the Sociology of Work and Employment, London: Sage.
- Fanthorne, C. (2004), Work Placements – A Survival Guide for Students. Palgrave Study Guides. Macmillan, London. Hatton, N. and Smith, D. (1995) Facilitating reflection: issues and research, Forum of education, 50, (1) 49-65.
- Illeris, K. (2009) Contemporary theories of learning. London: Routledge.
- Kolb, D. (2014) Experiential Learning: Experience as a Source of Learning and Development. New Jersey: Pearson Education.
- Mehta, K. & Shah, V. (2019). Global Business: Virtual Workplaces and Collaborations. International Journal of Business, Humanities and Technology, 9(4).
- Moon, J. (2006), Learning Journals: A handbook for reflective practice and professional development. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Neugebauer, J. and Evans-Brain, J. (2016) Employability: Making the most of your career development. London: Sage Publications.
- Noon, M., Blyton, P. and Morrell K. (2013) The Realities of Work: Experiencing Work and Employment in Contemporary Society, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Schon, D. (1991). The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action. Aldershot: Ashgate.