Undergraduate Module Descriptor
PHL3080: Philosophical Frontiers
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
- You will critically engage with work on the frontiers of philosophy through reading a recently published or forthcoming monograph.
- You will learn research skills in both self-motivated and group contexts.
- You will develop core philosophical skills such as critical reflection, argumentation and clarity of expression.
- Examining a cutting-edge monograph will help you cover new research methods and trends; understand the importance of sustaining a philosophical project beyond the journal-article format; and about situating philosophical work within disciplinary context.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate familiarity with a cutting-edge philosophical monograph.|
2. Critically understand the historical and philosophical context of a piece of cutting-edge philosophy.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||3. Critically analyse and respond to philosophical arguments.|
4. Develop your own philosophical ideas.
|Personal and Key Skills||5. Provide clear and concise written and oral communication skills.|
6. Demonstrate comprehension of complex ideas and writing.
7. Show creativity, enabling lateral thinking, new ideas and problem-solving skills.