Undergraduate Module Descriptor
PHL3078: Critical Theory: The Frankfurt School and Communicative Capitalism
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
The aims of this module are:
- to introduce you to 20th century Critical Theory and its Freudo-Marxist concepts
- to practise critical methods and critical reflection
- to learn about philosophical examination of modern-day social changes and problems
- to introduce you to 20th century philosophers who have been greatly influential on current philosophical and political thought.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the theories and texts (readings) for the course|
2. Demonstrate deep understanding of the methodological and conceptual problems of critiquing modernity
|Discipline-Specific Skills||3. Demonstrate critical understanding of the interrelation between epistemology, values, and material social conditions|
4. Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge of a specific current type of philosophical social and political analysis
|Personal and Key Skills||5. Demonstrate the ability to critically analyse texts with guidance, and thoroughly discuss complex problems|
6. Demonstrate the ability to write short, explanatory summaries of complex academic texts
7. Demonstrate the ability to research independently and write a critical philosophical essay on a module theme