Undergraduate Module Descriptor
PHL3013: Virtues and Vices
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
Whilst the precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover all or some of the following topics:
- Virtue Ethics: for and against
- What is a virtue? What is a vice?
- Virtues and duties.
- Virtues and happiness.
- The cardinal virtues: wisdom, justice, courage and temperance
- The economic virtues and vices: thrift, generosity, greed and avarice
- The sexual virtues and vices: chastity, modesty and lust
- The military virtues and vices: courage, cowardice and foolhardiness
- Virtues pagan and Christian
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching activity||22||11 x 2 hours per week comprising of lectures and seminars|
|Guided Independent study||128||Reading, preparing classwork, writing essays and preparing for the exam|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
ELE - http://vle.exeter.ac.uk.