Undergraduate Module Descriptor
PHL2127: Hidden Voices in Early Modern Philosophy
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover some of the following topics:
1) Gender and the Philosophical Canon.
2) Margaret Cavendish and The Blazing World.
3) Anne Conway and Principles of Ancient and Modern Philosophy
4) Emilie Du Chatelet and Physical Institutions
5) Mary Astell and A Serious Proposal to the Ladies
6) Catharine Trotter Cockburn and A Defense of Mr. Locke’s Essay of Human Understanding
7) Lady Mary Shepherd and Essays on the Perception of an External Universe
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22||Weekly 2-hour lectures/seminars or 1 hour lecture + 1 hour seminar|
|Guided Independent Study||45||Preparation for lectures and tutorial participation including reading, and preparing reading reports and answers to tutorial questions.|
|Guided Independent Study||83||Independent research for the first and final essays.|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
- ELE – College to provide hyperlink to appropriate pages