Undergraduate Module Descriptor
PHL2053: History of Philosophy
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
You will gain a good understanding of some key problems addressed by early modern philosophers, including their rationale and various attempts at solving them. By making a critical study of these topics, focusing on primary texts, your skills in the analysis, evaluation and presentation of arguments will be enhanced.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Identify and discuss the questions, themes and topics addressed by some early modern philosophers.|
2. Distinguish and evaluate certain positions and arguments within early modern philosophy.
3. Read and understand early modern philosophical texts in their historical and philosophical context.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate a good understanding of the interrelation between historical events and philosophical developments.|
5. Demonstrate sound knowledge of different types of philosophical analysis.
|Personal and Key Skills||6. Demonstrate an expanded philosophical vocabulary and understanding with respect to key ideas in early modern philosophy.|
7. Engage in complex arguments both orally and through writing.
8. Conduct research independently engaging with complex ideas and problems.