Undergraduate Module Descriptor
PHL1004: Philosophical Problems 1
This module descriptor refers to the 2023/4 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will address some or all of the following questions through the medium of concrete examples and dilemmas:
- What is the nature of being?
- What is the nature of personal identity?
- What is the nature of meaning and language?
- What does it mean to know things?
- How do we ascertain what is right or wrong?
- What is the relationship between moral responsibility and autonomy?
- What is the nature of consciousness?
- What is freedom?
- What is equality?
- Is there a relationship between beauty and moral goodness?
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching ActivitiesScheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||22||11 x 2 hours per week comprising of lectures and seminars|
|Guided Independent Study||44||Preparation for lectures and tutorials|
|Guided Independent Study||84||Preparation for presentation and examination|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
ELE – https://vle.exeter.ac.uk/