Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC3132: Surveillance, Security and the State
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
Whilst the precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover all or some of the following topics:
- Legislative and regulatory framework of intelligence-led policing
- Political repression, surveillance and spying
- Policing protest movements, social movement organisations and industrial disputes
- Impacts of new technologies such as facial recognition and movement prediction software in CCTV on public spaces and civil society
- Impact of profiling technologies for minority communities.
- Policing social media and digital rights
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activity||22||11 x 2 hour weekly lectures / seminars (or 1 hour lecture + 1 hour seminar)|
|Guided Independent Study||22||Preparation and reading for seminars|
|Guided Independent Study||42||Preparation and reading for presentation|
|Guided Independent Study||10||Additional reading/research|
|Guided Independent Study||54||Preparation for essay|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).