Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC2038: On Violence
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
The module will examine a wide range of type of violence. Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover some or all of the following themes over one or more weeks:
- Defining Violence - Primary Question: How is violence defined?
- Communication and Violence - Primary Question: How is communication characterized by violence?
- Seeing Violence - Primary Question: How are violent acts rendered seen and unseen?
- Bounding Violence - Primary Question: How are social limits placed on violence?
- Ignoring Violence - Primary Question: How do societies learn to ignore harm?
- Remembering Violence - Primary Question: How do societies remember violence?
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activity||22||11 x 2-hour seminars (lecturers explanations, student participation and discussion)|
|Guided Independent Study||24||Preparing for the seminars|
|Guided Independent Study||40||Reading assignments|
|Guided Independent Study||10||Additional reading/research|
|Guided Independent Study||54||Preparation for and completion of all exams|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).