Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SSI3020: Employment Experience (UK and Abroad)
This module descriptor refers to the 2021/2 academic year.
1. To increase your employability skills in an increasingly competitive market through
- seeking and successfully gaining a work placement
- being in a workplace for a significant period and reflecting on that experience
2. To develop your intercultural awareness and competence through reflection on the experience of employment.
3. To enhance your capacity for self-assessment through structured reflection on your experience
4. Where employment is abroad to enhance your awareness of the process of foreign-language learning and to develop strategies for more effective language learning
5. Enhance key transferable skills through the managing of your learning in an independent context. i.e. working with others; problem solving; communication, building resilience; leadership skills
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. produce job applications that represent the students' strengths and target specific employers in an appropriate manner; |
2. demonstrate knowledge and application of the attitudes and qualities that are required to function well in a work environment;
3. demonstrate an ability to communicate (in writing and in speech) in a manner appropriate to the particular workplace context;
4. where study has been outside of the UK, demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the host country and a sensitivity to its culture so as to function as an integrated member of its society.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. demonstrate skills in the research, selection and evaluation of specific jobs and the structural context of those jobs; |
6. demonstrate a critical understanding of the social, cultural and political considerations that influence employment settings, using appropriate discipline-specific theoretical perspectives to analyse those settings.
|Personal and Key Skills||7. develop or enhance practical work-based skills and experience;|
8. negotiate the different types of working relationships with staff within the workplace and others relevant to the placement;
9. demonstrate the ability to identify and reflect on personal challenges and to learn from their resolution;
10. demonstrate the ability to use a range of technologies and applications relevant to most work places.