Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC3101: Police and Policing
This module descriptor refers to the 2020/1 academic year.
Indicative Reading List
This reading list is indicative - i.e. it provides an idea of texts that may be useful to you on this module, but it is not considered to be a confirmed or compulsory reading list for this module.
• Bayley, D and Shearing, C ‘The Future of Policing’ Law & Society Review 30 (3): 585 – 606.
• Buttle, J (2007) ‘A Constructive Critique of the Officer Safety Programme Used in England and Wales’ Policing and Society: An International Journal of Research and Policy 17 (2): 164 – 181.
• Innis, M (2005) ‘Why ‘Soft’ Policing is Hard: On the Curious Development of Reassurance Policing, How it Became Neighbourhood Policing and What This Signifies About the Politics of Police Reform’ Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology 15: 156–169.
• Paoline, E (2004) ‘Shedding light on Police Culture: An Examination of Officer’s Occupational Attitudes Police Quarterly 7 (2): 205 – 236.
• Reisig, M and Kane, R (2014) The Oxford Handbook of Police and Policing Oxford University Press; Oxford (in particular Parts 2 and 3).