Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC3080: Pharmaceutical Cultures
This module descriptor refers to the 2020/1 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover some or all of the following themes:
- Origins and expansion of pharmaceutical industries and markets.
- The political economy of drug development, testing and regulation.
- Pharmaceuticals and social change.
- Pharmaceuticals, deviance, and social control.
- Medicalisation of everyday life and the rise of ‘lifestyle drugs’.
- Nonmedical uses of prescription drugs: Abuse/recreational use.
- Nonmedical uses of prescription drugs: Enhancement.#
- Iatrogenic (medical) addiction to pharmaceuticals: why do doctors still prescribe?
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activity||11||11 x 1 hour lectures delivering the academic framework of the course11 x 1 hour lectures delivering the academic framework of the course|
|Scheduled learning activity||11||11 x 1 hour seminars including group work and class discussion of key topics and debates from the lectures11 x 1 hour seminars including group work and class discussion of key topics and debates from the lectures|
|Guided Independent Study||40||20 course readings (2 hours each)|
|Guided independent study||40||Reading/research for essay|
|Guided independent study||8||Essay plan preparation|
|Guided independent study||40||Reading/revisions for examination|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).