Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC3028: Media in Society
This module descriptor refers to the 2020/1 academic year.
The aim of this module is to introduce you to the ways in which sociologists, anthropologists and cultural theorists have conceptualised media in Western society. With the use of specific examples, you will examine key issues in traditional and new media, and provide you with a basis to contextualise and critically appraise social change and collective and individual experiences.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate critical knowledge and analytical understanding of different approaches to the study of traditional and new media|
2. Analyse critically and evaluate key issues in the field in relation to specific themes, studies and findings
|Discipline-Specific Skills||3. Demonstrate the capacity to select relevant material and structure it in order to present coherent arguments|
4. Acquire detailed, systematic and comprehensive knowledge of debates in the field
5. Appraise a range of various perspectives
|Personal and Key Skills||6. Undertake independent study and group work|
7. Make good use of feedback
8. Act autonomously within agreed guidelines and manage time effectively to meet deadlines