Undergraduate Module Descriptor
SOC1040: Social Issues: Part II - Themes in Criminology
This module descriptor refers to the 2020/1 academic year.
* Introduce you to core themes in the study of crime and deviance
* Foster understanding of the varied qualitative and quantitative methodologies for assessing crime
* Enable you to undertake independent research
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate knowledge of the underlying concepts and of strengths and weaknesses of theories of crime and deviance|
2. Demonstrate a clear understanding of the qualitative and quantitative methodological foundations of criminology;
3. Identify and locate relevant materials and information in support of research;
4. Synthesise and critically assess the relationship between disciplinary approaches to crime;
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Extend your ability to apply the insights and findings in the literature to the analysis of crime;|
6. Conduct independent research;
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Communicate complex ideas in writing; and|
8. Demonstrate the ability to work independently, within a limited time frame, and without access to external sources, to complete a specified task.