Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ANT2013: Visual Anthropology: Methods and Perspectives
This module descriptor refers to the 2019/0 academic year.
- To provide an overview of current perspectives and methods in visual anthropology
- To introduce you to diverse materials in anthropology of art and photography, ethnographic film and cinema studies
- To encourage a direct and sustained engagement with visual forms of communication as tools for understanding anthropological concepts
- To develop an anthropological grasp of the politics and practices of representation
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. display an understanding of the visual media and cultures|
2. demonstrate an understanding of the methodological and substantive issues associated with visual anthropology
|Discipline-Specific Skills||3. display an understanding of the disciplines approach to visual culture in relation to other approaches and explanations offered in the humanities and social sciences;|
4. appreciate key issues relevant to the visual methods, and develop critical, comparative and cross-cultural insight;
|Personal and Key Skills||5. demonstrate transferable skills in formulating, researching and addressing focused questions;|
6. prepare focused and comprehensive written presentations;
7. work independently and in collaboration with others;
8. prepare and deliver considered oral arguments.