Undergraduate Module Descriptor
ANT3089: Cultures of Race, Ethnicity and Racism
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
Indicative Reading List
This reading list is indicative - i.e. it provides an idea of texts that may be useful to you on this module, but it is not considered to be a confirmed or compulsory reading list for this module.
Back, L. (1996) New Ethnicities and Urban Culture: Racism and Multi
Culture in Young Lives (London: UCL Press).
- Banks, M. (1996) Ethnicity: Anthropological Constructions (London: Routledge)
- Frankenberg, Ruth (1993) White Women, Race Matters (London: Routledge).
- Gilroy, P. (1987) There Aint No Black in the Union Jack: Cultural Politics of Race and Nation (London: Hutchinson).
- Hall, C. and Rose, S. (eds) (2006) At Home with the Empire: Metropolitan Culture and the Imperial World (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press).
- Haritgan, J. (1999) Racial Situations: Class Predicaments of Whiteness in Detroit (Princeton: Princeton University Press).
- Hill, J. (2008) The Everyday Language of White Racism (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell).
- Said, E. W. (1978) Orientalism: Western Conceptions of the Orient (London: Penguin Press).
- Wade, P., (2002), Race, Nature and Culture: An Anthropological Perspective (London: Pluto Press).
- Werbner, P. and Modood, T. (eds) (1997) Debating Cultural Hybridity: Multi-cultural Identities and the Politics of Anti-racism (London: Zed books).