Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM046: Meaning, Making Consuming
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
To provide a thorough and rigorous discussion of the main paradigms in relation to the analysis of arts, media and consumption practices.
To illustrate relevant theoretical ideas and modes of understanding from the sociology of culture and cultural sociology through the use of empirical research across a wide range of subject matter, drawing on data collected in different ways and according to various methodologies.
To foster your capacity to engage with techniques of analytical and critical inquiry in the areas of arts, media and consumption.
To prepare you for career paths in the creative industries and media as well as serving as the basis for further doctoral-level study.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of diverse paradigms in cultural sociology. |
2. Engage critically with the conceptual and methodological bases of cultural sociological schools of thought.
3. Interpret socio-cultural worlds, objects and phenomena through the prism of concepts and theories developed within cultural sociology
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate detailed awareness of the concepts, theories and methodologies used by cultural sociologists of different types. |
5. Demonstrate a capacity to conceive of matters in systematic cultural-sociological ways, informed by theories and empirical evidence.
6. Demonstrate independent and critical thought within and about cultural-sociological frameworks
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Construct and evaluate concepts and ideas. |
8. Formulate and express ideas at different levels of abstraction, in writing and oral communication
9. Develop effective time management skills.