Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM034: Social Data Science and Policy Analytics
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
This is the core module for the MSc in Policy Analytics/Applied Social Data Science and aims to equip you with an understanding of the core concepts related to policy analytics and social data science skills to support evidence-based decision making in the policy process. It aims to equip you with a broad range of relevant skills and knowledge, allowing you to formulate research questions and later carry out your own research projects or a consultancy project.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the principles of policy analytics and the policy process |
2. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the policy cycle
3. demonstrate a clear understanding of the relationship between data analysis and evidence-based decision making
4. Practically apply different social data science techniques and links to policy analysis and evaluation
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of the issues posed by evidence based decision-making and policy analysis|
6. clearly articulate the principles of research design, causal inference and data quality
7. Employ a range of advanced quantitative social data science methods
|Personal and Key Skills||8. Demonstrate familiarity with a range of social data science techniques|
9. Communicate analysis effectively to a broad audience