Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM030: Gender at Work
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
The aim of this module is to provide you with a thorough introduction to how theorizing about gender has developed over the past five decades. The focus is on how gender is constructed and performed in everyday life, in domestic and employment settings. The module will include detailed appraisal of a wide range of empirical research in order to demonstrate its utility in the development or testing of theoretical approaches. The module aims to encourage you to reflect on your own practices and experiences within a society structured and inscribed by gender.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate in writing and orally a thorough understanding of the key conceptual debates on gender and sexuality and their applicability to the structure of, and practices within, the domestic sphere, work and organizations|
2. demonstrate in writing an appreciation of the contribution of different disciplinary perspectives to the understanding of the gendered nature of work
3. interpret your lived experience of the social world informed by an appreciation of gender as a socially constructed category and by engagement with the testimony of others with a range of subject positions
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. demonstrate in writing and orally a well-developed capacity to understand and evaluate theories and arguments in the social sciences|
5. demonstrate in writing and orally an understanding of the role and importance of different forms of empirical work to explore the value of theories in the social sciences
|Personal and Key Skills||6. write clearly, succinctly and persuasively for a general audience|
7. work collaboratively, providing constructive feedback for a peer
8. present complex information to a small group of peers with confidence and clarity
9. develop an appreciation of potential use and misuse of social media to generate debate on gender inequalities