Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM027: Social Theory
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
- To provide a thorough and rigorous discussion of some of the main theoretical traditions and paradigms in sociology.
- To illustrate theories through the use of empirical research and examples.
- To foster your capacity to engage with techniques of analytical and critical inquiry.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of classical and contemporary social theories|
2. Engage critically with classical and contemporary social theories
3. Interpret the social world through the prism of social theories and theoretical accounts
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate detailed awareness of the concepts/theories used by sociologists and anthropologists|
5. Demonstrate in writing the capacity to apply theoretical models and conjectures generally
6. Use empirical and historical case-studies to enrich and test social theories
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Critically engage in complex arguments verbally and in small groups.|
8. effectively communicate in written form complex arguments and ideas