Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SSIM904: Research Design Methods and Skills for AQM
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
This is an advanced level research design and methods course intended to equip you with a broad range of relevant skills and knowledge, allowing you to formulate research questions and carry out your own research projects. The primary aims of the unit are to:
- Introduce the epistemological and methodological traditions in social science research and map the social science research space, particularly highlighting the range of quantitative methods used;
- Introduce key skills for designing and organizing a research project, conducting critical reviews of published research; and disseminating and communicating research.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Develop understanding of the principles of research design and appreciate multiple alternative approaches to developing and addressing research questions;|
2. Develop critical understanding of the scientific method;
3. Understand the relationship between empirical research and theory generation and testing (theory-evidence links);?
4. Define a researchable problem and formulate research questions and hypotheses that are amenable to empirical investigation;
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. Show comprehensive understanding of issues posed by social research in relation to ethics, confidentiality and legality.|
6. Demonstrate in-depth understanding of the principles behind causal inference;
7. Develop understanding of the theoretical and data structure assumptions underlying a range of advanced quantitative methods;
|Personal and Key Skills||8. Demonstrate an advanced ability to study independently and effectively;|
9. Develop the ability to present, summarize and report complex empirical results and methodological approaches for a non-academic (or non-quantitative) audience in order to engage the broader social science community, funding bodies and policy-makers in your research.
10. Become acquainted with relevant software tools and IT applications for the retrieval, analysis and the presentation of quantitative information.