Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM027: Social Theory
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
To provide a thorough and rigorous discussion of some of the main theoretical traditions and paradigms in sociology.
To illustrate theories through the use of empirical research and examples.
To foster your capacity to engage with techniques of analytical and critical inquiry.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of classical and contemporary social theories|
2. Engage critically with classical and contemporary social theories
3. Interpret the social world through the prism of social theories and theoretical accounts
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate detailed awareness of the concepts/theories used by sociologists and anthropologists|
5. Demonstrate in writing the capacity to apply theoretical models and conjectures generally
6. Use empirical and historical case-studies to enrich and test social theories
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Critically engage in complex arguments verbally and in small groups.|
8. effectively communicate in written form complex arguments and ideas