Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM013: Independent Study in Sociology and Philosophy
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
The aims of this module are:
To provide you with the opportunity to delve deeply into a particular area of interest, applying appropriate research methodologies and drawing on appropriate materials;
To develop the critical and analytical skills necessary to explore an area of sociology or philosophy that goes beyond topics in taught modules of existing Masters programmes;
To develop goal setting and time management skills in pursuing a personal programme of research;
To enhance writing skills in order to improve dissertation writing
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. critically analyse arguments by in key texts;|
2. present sophisticated arguments concisely, and to explain difficult points; and an capacity to identify key aspects of a philosophical and theoretical debate.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||3. assimilate and critically analyse data from an appropriate range of sources; |
4. develop cogent argument;
5. communicate complex information and ideas effectively in writing.
|Personal and Key Skills||6. undertake an individual research project in a structured, time-effective fashion; |
7. locate and use literature effectively;
8. construct and evaluate ideas; to formulate and express ideas at different levels of abstraction;
9. assess and criticise the views of others; to write at the level required for ongoing and future research.