Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM025: Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
This module descriptor refers to the 2017/8 academic year.
The aim of this module is to introduce you to the methods for evaluating educational interventions and policies and to provide you with the analytical tools required to reach evidence-based conclusions about effectiveness in education. You will learn practical skills that are necessary for designing educational evaluations and conducting quantitative data analysis. These skills can be applied in policy making and analysis in primary, secondary and higher education. General principles of programme evaluation can be applied in other fields as well.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate detailed knowledge of the principles of evaluating educational programmes;|
2. show a comprehensive understanding of the specificity of programme evaluation in education compared to other fields;
3. correctly interpret results of educational evaluations reported in the literature;
4. plan and design evaluations of educational interventions;
|Discipline-Specific Skills||5. independently conduct analysis of quantitative data to evaluate policies and interventions;|
6. critically assess strengths and weaknesses of programme evaluation designs;
|Personal and Key Skills||7. effectively communicate results of independent research in written form to the deadline;|
8. work independently, within a limited time frame, to complete a specified task.