Postgraduate Module Descriptor
SOCM024: Cultural Sociology
This module descriptor refers to the 2017/8 academic year.
To provide a thorough and rigorous discussion of the main paradigms in cultural sociology.
To illustrate cultural-sociological theories through the use of empirical research involving data collected in different ways and according to various methodologies.
To foster your capacity to engage with techniques of analytical and critical inquiry in cultural sociology.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of diverse paradigms in cultural sociology.|
2. Engage critically with the conceptual and methodological bases of cultural sociological schools of thought.
3. Interpret socio-cultural worlds through the prism of concepts and theories developed within cultural sociology
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Demonstrate detailed awareness of the concepts, theories and methodologies used by cultural sociologists of different types.|
5. Demonstrate a capacity to conceive of matters in systematic cultural-sociological ways, informed by theories and empirical evidence.
6. To think independently and critically within and about cultural-sociological frameworks
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Construct and evaluate concepts and ideas.|
8. Formulate and express ideas at different levels of abstraction, in writing and oral communication.
9. Develop effective time management skills.