Postgraduate Module Descriptor
PHLM010: Introduction to Philosophical Methods
This module descriptor refers to the 2017/8 academic year.
The module aims to introduce you to a range of different philosophical methods. It also aims to encourage you to engage critically with those methods and learn how to apply these methods in your own research.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Understand a range of different methods for approaching philosophical problems|
2. Analyse and evaluate those methods in a rigorous, informed and critical way
3. Learn to employ a range of different methods in your own philosophical work
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Appreciate the diversity of different methods used in philosophical research|
5. Critically and rigorously evaluate a range of different philosophical styles and approaches
6. Reflect critically upon the relationship between philosophy and other disciplines
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Engage in complex arguments verbally and in small groups|
8. Critically engage with written texts in a clear and rigorous way
9. Present complex ideas to peers and respond to questions in a clear and respectful manner